Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Creep Factor: 10/10

In lesser hands, The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson would just be silly. But Jackson is brilliant. She deftly handles gothic horror better than anyone I know. My Goodreads review is in the link above!

Doing some research, it looks like Hill House has been a favorite at being made into movies/TV. But none look quite right. Why change up the story so much? The Netflix show actually looks good, if you pretend you've never read the book and have no idea what it's about.

Netflix trailer


Then we have a 1999 movie, The Haunting (heeeey Liam Neesom). This looks a bit more to the plot of the book and a reliable source said it was a good one.

The Haunting (1999)

The 1963 version looks to be the most like the book, nicely done without all the special effects and CGI. I hope I can find a copy somewhere.


The Haunting (1963)



I'll probably try them all and then report back. I do love a good scary story!


No comments: