Friday, January 24, 2020

Well, That Was A Twist

Agatha Christie is a gem, isn't she? I love her mysteries so much so that I don't even get upset when a twist comes out of nowhere. I never, ever see them coming. Maybe I'm slow? Or Christie is just that good! (Let's go with the latter to save my self-esteem)

I don't usually read up on the books I'm reading. This was an older book on my 1st generation Kindle and, since I had insomnia on New Year's Eve, I read the bulk of this then. I thought it odd that every scene was taking place in one room but now it all makes sense! This was originally written as a play and Charles Osborne turned it into a novel.

Michael Starkwedder's car breaks down so he walks to a nearby house for assistance. He happens upon a dead body (as one does) and a woman standing over the body with a gun in hand.  The woman is Laura Warwick, the victim's wife. She claims to have killed her husband, Richard.

Instead of just calling the police, Starkwedder wants to hear the Why and decides to help cover up the murder. I thought this was just a little too trusting but he was smitten with Laura and smitten people do weird things.

Once the police come to investigate, things just keep rolling around on top of one another and twisting all up. Did a servant kill Richard? He was a terrible person, apparently. Did Laura? Did someone else in the community do it?

What was interesting was seeing how everyone had their favorite perp picked out from the family and employees. They all had perfectly sound reasons why this person did it and this other person couldn't possibly had committed the murder.

In the end, all the possibilities started untwisting pretty quickly. And just when you knew who the murderer was.....


You were wrong.


Take a listen to the book/play here. You'll be glad you did!

I think this would be a fantastic play to see

No comments: