Sunday, January 26, 2020

Jack Reacher isn't short

I keep picking up Lee Child books at every book sale I run across. He has so many books out, I figured it will be some time before I end up with a duplicate Jack Reacher book. So far, that's held true. Gone Tomorrow is the 13th Reacher book and, while I am clearly reading out of order, it doesn't seem like it matters. Each book is a stand alone that catches you up with what you need to know.

Child describes Reacher constantly and I have a picture of him in my head. It's vague, sure, but Reacher is a giant. He can't hide, he can't be "Everyman" invisible. Yet, Tom Cruise plays him in movies. Cruise is my height. I'm not intimidating and I blend into a crowd. C'mon.

(Rumor has it Reacher is getting a Netflix show? And will be played by a new actor? I hope so!)

This story has Reacher in NYC, on a subway, eyeballing his fellow passengers. He walks us through a list of 11 points of a suicide bomber. The lady on the train tracks on nearly all of those points. Ruh Roh, Reacher. In a move I don't quite understand except as a plot moving device, Reacher confronts the woman who then blows her brains out with a gun that was hidden in her bag.

This could seem to end all right here. But wait, there's more.

Cops come in and take Reacher to the precinct for questioning. The lead detective claims, possibly jokingly, that Reacher pushed the suicide lady to the edge. Feds come in with more questions. Reacher is released and...wait, there's more. Guns for hire have MORE questions. Now we know, this lady wasn't just a run of the mill lady, she was somebody and lots of people want to know what she gave Reacher before she killed herself.

Enter in a gorgeous Ukrainian and her old mother. But wait...you get the picture.

This one just piled WTH on top of WTH until I was slightly confused on who was who and who I needed to care about. People dropped like flies in this book, mostly thanks to Reacher.

The final showdown was quite excellent.

But wait.....

Just kidding :)

I'm leaving this here because Lee Child AND Stephen King


No comments: