Saturday, March 14, 2009

Hemingway and Bailey's Bartending Guide to Great American Writers

This was a real short book and one that now has a permanent position in my home. We all know that some of the best writers were absolute drunks. Bukowski, Steinbeck, Hemingway. This book shares a little backstory of those writers along with drink recipes for their preferred adult beverage.

Bukowski favored a Boilermaker, which I'll admit to not knowing what that is. It turns out that it's something I really doubt that I would drink. It's a shot of whiskey with beer as a chaser OR a shot of whiskey dropped into a mug of beer. That would fell my sorry butt in a heartbeat. Although I do appreciate my whiskey.

Truman Capote imbibed in Screwdrivers, which I actually have the ingredients for and it sounds mighty good.

Alot of the writers were gin folks. That might be a staple that I need to add to my small bar. Although I'm usually a rum or whiskey girl, I'm willing to expand my horizons.

Obviously, I don't encourage the type of drinking that these writers did. But I see nothing wrong with partaking every now and again with friends or as a nightcap.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading a woman's blog for the past week and find it consistently entertaining. She doesn't take "stands" and just says what she thinks, feels, watches on TV, etc.

I think you'd like her. Here's a link: thegirlfromtheghetto.wordpress.com
She has some chronic health issues and this may be what gives her that nice combination of spine and compassion which I see in you, Manada. Give her a visit and see what you think.

P.S., When you gonna write me a poem? I love you! Doesn't this mean something to you?!

Remind me to write again. I hope to have good news on the job front.

manadabomb said...

I don't write poems! Maybe I'll get a bug to write you a story.

Write again, Barry. The world needs your words