Friday, April 24, 2009

The People Look Like Flowers At Last by Charles Bukowski

This is supposedly the last of Bukowski's collections to be published after his death in 1994. However,I see that Pleasures of the Damned is also out so that's probably not true.

This was a good collection of poems although it's not in my top 5 of his. Sorry Buk! There were several standouts, including Eulogies. The last section focused more on death and frankly the last poem was eerie (I don't have the book in front of me to give you the title).

I usually pull snippets of genius from Bukowski's poems rather than swooning over entire poems. Offhand, the lead up to Part 4 had:

The wisdom to quit is all we have left


Along with this from The Dogs Bark Knives:

Let us know that living out a life
among billions of idiots with molecule feelings
is an art itself

There are plenty more gems in this book. If you're a Bukowski fan, it's worth a read.

No comments: