Wednesday, April 29, 2020

The Big 3-0!

Not me, silly. I'm about hjkashsk years past that.

John Sandford's new Lucas Davenport book is out and it's the 30th in the series. How is this even possible? I mean, Davenport has aged, sure, but he's still one of the best characters out there. I will admit, I was worried since the last few books that the Davenport we knew and loved was gone and a new, post-gunshot Davenport was here to stay.

Masked Prey brings back Davenport. Where the law is the law, until it isn't.

I can't imagine where Sandford picked up his neo-Nazi, white supremacist plot line (plucked straight from the headlines of 2019?) but it was something we're familiar with, unfortunately, now in this new realm.  Someone has created a 1919 website showing photos of senator's children with neo-Nazi articles. The implication? Go out and kill the kids.

Lucas is brought in by Henderson and Smalls to work with Jane Chase of the FBI to get this figured out before any kids get killed. Once again, Davenport's thought process, his leaps of intuition, brings us to a unlikely culprit that causes a angry, white man to get up his guns and start hunting kids.

At first, I thought the ending was anti-climatic and wasn't very happy. But the thrill is in the chase, and the chase took us on some crazy-ass roads that led us to a showdown. Was Lucas outside the law? Yeah. But I can't fault him.

You can't go wrong with John Sandford's novels. I consider him a GD National Treasure!

Video interview with John Sandford


No comments: