Saturday, May 16, 2020

This is our story

I'm surprised I didn't write a review for Ashley Elston's book This is Our Story. I felt like I did. Maybe I just wrote it in my head and never actually put fingers to keyboard.

Today is a beautiful day in the Midwest. Windows are open, sounds of people out in their yards floating in. It's a great change of pace from the locked up (safe at home) dreary days of the past 2 months. I hope everyone is well and staying healthy.

I think this book was recommended by the Book Riot podcast but darned if I can find it! Either way, it was a pretty good story as listened via audiobook through the library. I'm fairly certain it's a YA book as the main characters are High Schoolers and, while the plot was more adult, it felt young.

Kate Marino is a senior and works as an intern at the DA's office (where her mom works). The River Point Boys are a group of five super wealthy and, naturally, handsome boys. They go into the woods for a hunting party, but only four boys come out. Who killed Grant? None of the boys are talking. And being from wealthy families, they don't have to.

Mr. Stone, the DA, ends up with the case and is ordered to get the boys off since the families are such good donors. Sad, but true. Mr. Stone, however, along with Kate, decide to dig in and see if they can get enough evidence to prosecute Grant's killer.

As Kate digs in, we find that Grant is a not so stellar guy and several people actually had motive to get rid of him.

I read it too long ago to remember a lot of the details but while it's called a thriller, I don't think that's true. It's a good mystery, a little unbelievable that a teenage girl gets as far as she does, but was fun to listen to and I ended up bingeing the last bit for the Whodunit.

Interview with the author


No comments: