Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

I've been wanting to read this for a while and my book club had as the next book to read. Shame I missed that particular book club meeting but I'm still happy I read this. I feel like it needs a re-read.

The plot is very simple. Since it's so simple, there is obviously a greater, spiritual meaning behind the book. We follow Santiago, a poor shepherd, on a trek to the Egyptian Pyramids in search of his treasure. He has been having many dreams about this treasure and decided to sell his sheep and follow his Personal Legend (note the capitalization). According to this book, everyone has a Personal Legend and it's up to everyone to follow it. No matter how difficult the road to the ultimate destination is. 

"When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."

Santiago runs into some shady characters and learns life lessons in trust. As in, don't just hand over all of your money to a stranger "to hold". As he continues his journey, he meets people who help him understand what he needs to follow his dream.

In the end, really, this book is a fable designed to tell us to keep dreaming, follow your heart and don't give up. I started off really into the story but, not being a religious person, the more it got into God and creation of all things, the more I slowed down in my reading. That being said, there were still plenty of pieces of this tale that I appreciated. And I'm sure I'll appreciate just as much on a re-read.

“People are capable, at any time in their lives, of doing what they dream of.” 




No comments: