Monday, April 21, 2008

The Golden Age - Kenneth Grahame

This was a LibriVox recording.

That phrase is now drilled into my head. But that's ok, because The Golden Age was one of the better read stories I've heard on LibriVox. This book is also available at Project Gutenberg.

The Golden Age was published in 1895 and is a novel that is divided up into short stories. The stories as a whole tell about the childhood of 3 boys and 2 girls. The children refer to the adults as Olympians and believe that the adults no longer know how to have fun. The chapters are each short stories detailing adventures the children take and/or imagine taking.

This was an excellent book that didn't "feel" like it was written so long ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was my father's favourite book or certainly one of them. It is magical and any child brought up in the country can equate with the children and their adventures. Although I would not have had the imagination of the characters they bring out any imagination I did have and, with them, I went down the river on a boat, visited beautiful cities and wondered what Selina and the Vicarage did talk about.