Thursday, January 29, 2015

As You Wish by Cary Elwes

I love The Princess Bride and, because I had a gift card, I bought the hardback of this book. I'm trying to decrease the amount of books in my home (around 1,200 now) so this was A BIG DEAL.

This is a memoir from Cary, who played Westley, that takes us from his being cast, to the making of the movie and beyond. This was such an excellent book that it made me re-watch the movie several times during the course of reading it.

There are lots of stories about the stars and the director, who all seem "incredibly nice" (Elwes was liberal with praise and compliments) but some of my favorite stories involved Andre the Giant. I used to watch wresting when Hulk Hogan, Andre and Randy "Macho Man" Savage were around (true facts!) and Andre really comes across as a gentle giant. The stories about his appetite and alcohol consumption were crazy!

I knew that Mandy Patinkin and Cary did their own sword fight, although I don't remember where I heard that. Cary depicted all the work that went into the sword fight which amazed me because... well, it was so well executed that I wouldn't have guessed that neither of them knew how to fence prior to the movie.

Inigo is my favorite character, with Westley and Fezzik running close behind. This book made me love them all and I think I need to re-re-re-watch the movie again.


No comments: