Sunday, January 19, 2014

Lincoln's Last Days by Bill O'Reilly

I borrowed this one from a friend after I saw the movie Lincoln, which was an amazing movie. I refuse to comment on the author because it seems most reviews of this book are actually either rants about O'Reilly or people defending him and frankly, I don't care. It's annoying when I was just trying to find a good review of the book.

To me, this book is technically historical fiction. It's not possible that anyone knew the level of detail that is depicted here and since it reads just like a novel, my bet is that the story was beefed up a bit to entice more people. This isn't a bad thing, but good to know so people don't take it word for word as historical and fact.

The author takes us through the end of the Civil War and into the last days of Lincoln and the manhunt for Booth and company. Fun fact: I didn't know there was a "and company" involved with Booth.

Through history classes, movies, books I have come to really like Lincoln. There's not much about him that you would feel is of bad character and frankly, what he endured is amazing.

This book is apparently Killing Lincoln with pictures. I haven't read Killing Lincoln so I can't say, but the pictures were good in this one. The timelines and all the additional information at the end were very interesting. I would recommend this book, regardless what side of the political fence you run your life on.

No comments: