Tuesday, July 15, 2008

When You Are Engulfed In Flames by David Sedaris

I love this man.

I've listened to his interviews about this book on NPR and The Daily Show and just love this man. I would have rather listened to this book as read by him but that wasn't feasible at the beach. So I took the new hardback (sans dust jacket) every day to the beach and laughed hysterically while people glanced at me in apparent fear.

I'm still shaking sand from the pages.

Sedaris tells us the stories of Hugh, the worm growing out of his leg, Paris and the spiders in his home, and traveling to Japan just to quit smoking. It is pretty bad when all the good hotels go non-smoking and only a semen covered remote jolts him into realizing that maybe he should just stop smoking.

I particularly loved the line about his finding new snacks in Japan that "tasted like penis". Lord. I can't even comprehend that.

Another good book by Sedaris.

No comments: