Tuesday, May 20, 2008

In An Instant - Lee Woodruff

My knitting teacher lent me this book and I just got around to reading it. It's about Bob Woodruff, an ABC anchor, who was embedded with the military in Iraq during the war in 2006. He and his cameraman were riding in a tank when an IED exploded next to them. The main IED ammunition was rocks. Woodruff ended up having rocks blasted through his skull, his face and back.

This book is the Woodruff's story about Bob's recovery from such traumatic brain injury. The book flashbacks quite a bit into their past, how they met, how Bob became a journalist, etc. Lee and Bob are obviously a couple meant to be, it's evident in their writing how much they mean to each other.

We get mostly Lee's side of the story, seeing how she wasn't the one in a coma for 5 weeks. Strangely or not, I give her quite a bit of props simply for how she handled her husband being blown up, 4 children and worldwide attention.

I'm not one for biographies, but this one was really pretty good. A little too flashbacky for me but overall a good story.

No comments: