Sunday, September 3, 2017

Just You Wait!

I spent a night in Chicago, a city I love to visit, because I scored tickets to Hamilton (surely you know about Hamilton?). I got them in November 2016 and made sure my two friends got seats to go with me. One friend always goes to musicals with me and the other is a Hamilton fiend. We made arrangements for hotel and travel and then waited....for almost a year.

I watched the PBS documentary in preparation before we left. It's excellent if you haven't seen it!

We explored the city a bit but the underlying excitement was there the whole time. HAMILTON! Finally! I met up with my friend who lives in Chicago and her excitement for us was palpable. She had already seen Hamilton and gave us some pointers (sippy cups for alcohol and make sure you have tissues handy). There's a place right across the street from the theater called Grillroom Chophouse and Wine Bar that has food and Hamilton inspired drinks. I indulged in the Gentleman's Agreement (Gentlemen Jack Whiskey, lemon, grapefruit, amaretto, orange bitters) but was too excited to actually eat.

Finally, through the doors of the beautiful PrivateBank Theater on Monroe Street. I had to make sure I got a drink, of course. Another Hamilton drink in a souvenir sippy cup, please!

Now, to Hamilton:

Based on the biography Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow, Lin-Manual Miranda wrote a musical using hip hop, rap, and pop influence and it debuted in 2015 and it became a smash Broadway hit. Well deserved. A minority cast plays the majority of the roles but you really don't notice it, to be honest, when George Washington comes out as a tall, stately, handsome black man with great pipes, because, well, you are in the moment.  

"Our cast looks like America looks now, and that's certainly intentional", Miranda said.

I had downloaded and listened to the soundtrack so I would be familiar with the music but just listening doesn't do it justice. The actor's subtle gestures, or not so subtle gestures, make this musical what it is and make the songs convey exactly what they need to convey.

A shout out first to the cast:

Alexander Hamilton - Miguel Cervantes
Eliza Hamilton - Ari Afsar
Aaron Burr - Colby Lewis
Angelica Schuyler - Jennie Harney
George Washington - Jonathan Kirkland
Marquis de Lafayette / Thomas Jefferson - Chris De'Sean Lee
Hercules Mulligan / James Madison - Wallace Smith
John Laurens / Philip Hamilton - José Ramos
Peggy Schuyler / Maria Reynolds - Aubin Wise
King George - Alexander Gemignani

A shout out because they were absolutely amazing. Their voices were fantastic, their acting was fantastic and their ability to make me tear up.... on point.

One of the most famous songs, My Shot, happens right off the bat. It's enough to get you geared up and cheering for this bastard orphan immigrant, Hamilton.

Rise up! When you're living on your knees, you rise up!

I was curious how they would enact Satisfied and was just in awe at how they rewound the entire scene. Beautiful work.



Thomas Jefferson breaking into the Carlton Dance was not expected in the slightest and I kinda lost my shit laughing at that. Proof that the soundtrack doesn't give you everything you need.



King George....oh, he's a dandy!!! The actor portraying him was great with the subtle gestures and dance moves. King George during the Reynolds Papers scene? Holy shit.... Listening to the lyrics, talk about an abusive relationship!


I wasn't entirely sure why my friend suggested tissues but found out in the second act. When Phillip, Hamilton's son, was killed in a duel, I teared up.

The song, It's Quiet Uptown, is what got me. The stage got blurry, I couldn't see the actors anymore. I'm not ashamed to admit that one hit hard when I saw it on stage. My heart ached for my dad and for my friends who have passed. My throat constricted, the tears came and I was done for.



Burr's Wait For It was more powerful than I expected. Burr essentially followed in Hamilton's footsteps the whole time, only because Burr was a cautious person while Hamilton steamrolled ahead without thought for consequence. It's an interesting paradox: be the slow-burning fire or the explosion that engulfs everyone? In the end, Burr is remembered only for killing Hamilton in a duel but is that the way he should be remembered?


Death doesn't discriminate between the sinners and the saints, it takes and it takes and it takes and we keep living anyway

If there's a reason that I'm still alive while everyone who loves me has died, I'm willing to wait for it.

I am the one thing in life I can control.

It's funny. I've been thinking about the musical ever since Friday night. I'm inspired, in many ways, by what I saw and heard. I want to learn more about American history - since we seem so dead set on repeating it - and I'm inspired to start writing again. Hamilton was a prolific writer, a writer who stirred people into action. Words are powerful, they have meaning and punch. They have the ability to build up and the ability to tear down.

It's also a lesson in your legacy. What will you leave behind? Who will write your story? Are you living a story that's worth writing about? What will people remember about you when you are gone?

If you get a chance, see Hamilton.

Our (unzoomed) view

The adventure gnomes are everywhere

FINALLY

We made it



And for fun



No comments: