Saturday, October 10, 2020

A Good Gothic

Hispanic Heritage Month is nearing it's end and, while I was determined to read more books in honor of it, I only managed to read Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. But what a damn good book it was.

I got this novel as part of the Nowhere Bookstore's book club via Jenny Lawson, The Bloggess. Her book picks are phenomenal, not a miss so far. Of course, I didn't end up reading Mexican Gothic during the month it was picked because that's what I do. I flit around my stacks of books (over 1,200 books) in my house like a magpie, picking up and plucking what interests me in that moment. Once I saw Hispanic Heritage Month was coming up, I dug out Mexican Gothic from the stacks. Add in a pleasant surprise to see a signed bookplate in the book from the author! 

I'm a fan of Southern Gothic, a genre that usually has dark humor, grotesque characters, and horrific plots that take place in the American South. Think Carson McCullers, William Faulkner, Flannery O'Connor, etc. Mexican Gothic (the book) rides along those same genre lines, except taking place, obviously, in Mexico. Gothic is not scary, per se, it's more along the creepy/horror lines, with just enough of a touch of realism to make you know this could happen.

Noemí Taboada is a socialite, flitting around from man to man, interest to interest, while her father gets more aggravated at her inability to follow through on anything. She is set on going to University, studying anthropology, but her father just wants her married and quiet. Despite this description, I really liked Noemí. Her father sends her to High Place, when her cousin sends a bizarre letter, claiming she's held hostage there and the walls are talking to her. Her cousin, Catalina, is newly married to Virgil Doyle, a broke, bizarre, and apparently alluring man. When Noemí arrives, she's not welcomed with open arms. It's a downright cold and creepy reception.

High Place is dark and foreboding and ruled over by Howard Doyle, Virgil's father. Everyone obeys his rules except for Noemí and the youngest son, Francis. Catalina is docile and drugged and, to be blunt, weird shit is happening at High Place. Howard has an obsession with eugenics and, as such, believes Noemí is a perfect specimen. But for what?

Amid waking and sleeping nightmares, Noemí tries to save herself, Catalina and Francis from a horrific experiment at creating a perfect race.

Incredibly creepy and absolutely wonderful!


Hulu is turning this into a limited series! I'm IN!

Interview with the author


No comments: