Thursday, June 25, 2015

Die Again by Tess Gerritsen

Once again, I step into a series right in the middle. Will I ever learn?

Rizzoli & Isles is a series, and apparently a TV show, with a Boston Detective and a Medical Examiner as the main characters. Women characters. Just so you know....

I got this book as an Advanced Reader's Edition from LibraryThings Early Reviewers. I feel bad I'm just getting to it but not that bad, because I devoured it in a day and am already searching out the other books in the series


Rizzoli is on the case of Leon Gott, a big game hunter, who was found suspended by his ankles and gutted - much like the game he hunts. He was low hanging fruit and when the family pets get hungry.... the detail was pretty descriptive for how Bruno the dog and the kitties had to fend for themselves.

Isles is the ME assigned to the autopsy. As gruesome as it is, it seems like a stand alone. Someone angry at big game hunters and takes their revenge.

The story jumps back six years to a safari team in Botswana. Six of the seven members of the vacationing group are either murdered or missing. One of those is Gott's son.

A vicious attack on a zoo keeper leads Rizzoli and Isles to the zoo where a leopard is munching on Debra. What is happening here? More deaths, most are seemingly unrelated, more jumps back to the bush camp in Botswana, more confusion.

This really was a fantastic mystery. I don't hunt, so that didn't hold any appeal to me, but it was a great addition to the story. Well worth picking up even if you haven't read any of the series (like me).


No comments: