Friday, August 28, 2020

The Night the Circus Comes to Town

 “You’re not destined or chosen, I wish I could tell you that you were if that would make it easier, but it’s not true. You’re in the right place at the right time, and you care enough to do what needs to be done. Sometimes that’s enough.”

I've heard so much about The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern that I got it from the library to see what the fuss was about. While I liked it, and thought it beautiful, I remained fussless.

Celia and Marco are two magicians, who are in a competition against each other. Celia has natural magic while Marco has to work at it. They are trained by elderly magicians who apparently pit their students against each other on a regular basis. I really had nothing but distaste for the two "mentors". The black and white night circus is their battleground, so to speak, for the competition. The circus, le Cirque des Rêves, arrives unannounced all over the world, stays for a few weeks, then disappears. Each tent is a thing of beauty and marvel. 

Celia and Marco fall in love, causing a problem to the competition. I'll be honest, while they are the main characters, they were not who I cared about. The competition itself wasn't enough to interest me either, in and of itself, but the magic and the writing that brought the magic to life, did keep my interest. Poppet, Widget, and Bailey, side characters supposedly, held my interest much more. They seemed very real, very there. 

Perhaps it's because I'm not one for love stories. Everything surrounding Celia and Marco kept me going, but for Celia and Marco themselves. What is pretty cool about this book is that it was created during NaNoWriMo, an event I try to participate in before giving up by the second week. 

This truly is a beautifully written book. If you are a sucker for love stories, this will be the one for you.


NY Times Review


Interview with the author





 

No comments: