Saturday, July 18, 2020

Don't Drill a Hole in Your Head

I forget who first turned me on to the Sawbones podcast (I feel like it was Science...Sort of). I love science-y facts and I especially love medical science-y facts. This is also the reason why I love Mary Roach's books so much as well. Give me medical history facts and I can annoy friends and family for DAYS.

So while I listen to the podcast on a regular basis and I knew they had a book, I still had not purchased said book until a very important event came up in my life. I volunteer and raise money every year (for the last 12 years!) for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation and normally I'm out and about hosting trivia nights, dine to donates, etc to raise the money. This year, good ol' COVID put a stop to that. The Foundation was in a pickle. If we didn't raise the funds, medication and research trials would have to stop. 

I decided to do a Zoom trivia night to raise money. But what to do? People already did some fun ones, like 80s, sports, etc.

I know! Weird Medical Trivia!

I quickly ordered the Sawbones book and got to reading. WOW. This is seriously my kind of book. I could not stop texting friends and family with "DID YOU KNOW...." texts. They were getting to where they just ignored me.

Trivia night went really well. I centered a bit around poop - I mean, we're all about the digestive diseases here - and I think people had a great time. I structured the questions in a way to be easy enough to let people gain some points as well as being informative and gross.  My friends and family got to learn about the Urine Flavor Wheel and drinking diarrhea as a test for cholera. They were impressed and disgusted. I raised money. My job was done.

Justin and Sydnee McElroy are the hosts. Sydnee is a doctor and great at researching! Justin is hilarious and always has the right thing to say.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and highly recommend it!

Interview with the McElroys



One of their live shows

No comments: