Saturday, November 7, 2015

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

This turned out MUCH better than I had hopes for.  In case you haven't left your rock, Robert Galbraith is actually JK Rowling. As much as I loved the Harry Potter series, her writing was ok. I'd been ignoring her newer books because I didn't have high hopes for an adult novel. Color me wrong.

This is the first in the Cormoran Strike series and I hope she keeps this going for a long time. I listened to the audio read by Robert Glenister and it was fantastic. As long as he narrates the rest of the series, I will be listening to them.

Strike is a down and out private detective who, due to being dumped by his crazy fiance, has taken to living in his office. He is barely making money and had to let his temporary secretary go because he could no longer afford to pay the temp agency. Let's not mention the loans he had with folks who were getting scary about getting re-paid. Also let's not mention that he is a war veteran who lost part of his leg in Afghanistan. Dude is very down on his luck.

The temp agency sends a new secretary and, because of their "smashing" meeting, he feels obliged to keep her a week while she interviews for other jobs. At this point, a new client comes in. John Bristow wants to hire Strike to investigate the supposed suicide of his sister, supermodel Lula Landry. Bristow doesn't believe it was suicide and wants to prove it. Everyone else in the family, the cops and the media believe she killed herself. Strike ends up taking the job and begins the gumshoeing.

And that's all I'm going to say. I was drawn in immediately and really disappointed in myself for not figuring out who the killer was. I was actually surprised enough at the outcome I immediately texted my friend, who had already read the book, with a WTF?!?!?! I think she laughed at me.  This is an excellent hard-boiled detective novel, worthy of all 5 stars!

No comments: