Monday, September 24, 2018

The Outsider by Stephen King

I was so prepared to be disappointed. I mean, King did write himself into the Dark Tower series. (not a spoiler, it's been out for YEARS). But I was very pleasantly surprised and even, dare I say, excited about this jacked up trip King took me on.

This starts out depressing and grisly when a little boy's mutilated corpse is found. It seems like a slam-dunk case, with eye witnesses stepping forward and letting Ralph Anderson, Flint City PD, know that Coach T, Terry Maitland, was with the victim right before the victim disappeared. It seems like everyone in town saw Terry, either with the kid or covered in blood. At this point, I already start saying to myself that this is TOO slam dunk. How could the guy be this dumb?

Ralph and co arrest Terry in the most spectacular way, causing the whole town to come down on Coach T (what happened to innocent until proven guilty??). Things turn mobbishly ugly and lives are lost. Problem? There's proof Terry was in Cap City with other teachers. Actual proof of Terry both on the corpse and in an entirely other city.

How can someone be in two places at the same time?

The answer to that is: Sister, you are in King's world now. The answer is horribly disturbing and crazy. There is an appearance by someone I know and love and, since I was so surprised by it, I won't tell you :)  But truly, the appearance made this book for me.

The ending was strangely satisfying. I'm very happy to say this is a great King book that is really worth reading.


No comments: