Saturday, September 15, 2018

The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly

For some reason I had Matthew "Alright-alright-alright" McConaughey in mind while I read this book. Turns out, I somehow knew this was a movie with the man himself. How did I know that?


Regardless of the movie that I have never seen, this was a fantastic book! I carried the book everywhere and read as often as I could, and it's been a bit since I've done that with a book. I knew all the pieces to the story and the twist - I think we all did - but I was still unprepared for how Mick Haller played the game. And equally unprepared for how the game ended.


Louis Roulet calls in defense attorney Haller when he's arrested for assault and attempted rape of a prostitute. Roulet is from big, big money and could afford to have any lawyer he could buy, but he chooses Haller. All Haller sees are dollar signs from a possible franchise client. Defense attorneys are usually dealing with the worst and Haller is no exception. His entire job is to get his client off with as little punishment as possible, and Haller states outright that he doesn't want to know if they are innocent or not.

Things start turning in a bad way with the Roulet case, which makes Haller bring up Jesus Menendez's case and the fact that man went away for 40 years while proclaiming his innocence. Are these 2 cases tied together somehow?

This ended up as a fast-paced read and I loved every turn in the road. And it's a series! And the first in the series!



No comments: