Wednesday, November 6, 2019

You Can't Always Get What You Want

I wanted to read Three Women by Lisa Taddeo. I found it at my local library and turns out....I couldn't renew it. *insert sad face here* So I gave it back, promptly put another hold on it, and will hope the next reader is a speed reader. I could have kept the book past my due date and paid the fine ...

But that makes me feel guilty and bad for the next person in line who just wants to read a good book. Am I alone in thinking this way?

On a different, more audio, tangent: Somehow I have 3 audiobooks going. I'm not sure how this all happened but here we are.

I started listening to CraftLit's Treasure Island. Heather is a gem! She lays out the land before the book pieces and catches up with you on the flip side. There's a lot of pirate-y lingo that she explains. This is turning out to be a good one! I mean, it's a classic so duh, right?

After seeing IT: Chapter Two, I decided to re-read IT by Stephen King. I got the book from the library and damn, man. I forgot what a doorstop that was! So I bounced over to Audible and grabbed the 43+ hour audio. I started IT while waiting for the next Treasure Island to drop. Makes sense, yes?

Well, THEN, my IRL book club was doing Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I was already reading other books so I grabbed the audio. Wasn't that long (well, yes it is) and I already read IT so no big deal.  I didn't finish in time and ended up not able to go to book club anyways.

So here I sit. With three audiobooks, that have absolutely no relation, winding in and around each other.

What have I actually finished since we last spoke? Here's the run down!

Razor Girl by Carl Hiaasen - pretty typical Hiaasen. A coworker described this as "Florida Man: The Movie" and he's not wrong

The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead - This is an unnerving and upsetting novel. I had to re-read sections once I realize what had happened and was still shook.

A Grown Up Guide to Dinosaurs by Ben Garrod - Did you know Audible has originals? And you get two free a month? This was one of their originals, just a few hours long but so awesome for the geek in me.

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood - I'm shocked how quickly I got this from the library! It was a good continuation and satisfying conclusion to The Handmaid's Tale.

The Man Who Knew the Way to the Moon by Todd Zwillich - another Audible original. I've always wanted to work at NASA and this was a fascinating listen about how the moonshot came about.

Outer Order, Inner Calm by Gretchen Rubin - Not quite what I thought but still a good little book that gives advice on how to clear out your clutter so your mind is calmer and less anxious.

Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs by Caitlin Doughty - LOVE. I love her. I have so many new fun facts about death that I'm no longer invited to parties.

The Institute by Stephen King - Now THIS is a damn fine King novel!!! This is always the kind of scary book I look for, no monsters, just horrible people. Kind of like reality.

Bloody Genius by John Sandford - The 12th Virgil Flowers book and just as good as all the rest. I will never, I repeat, never, tire of John Sandford.

Prisoner of Tehran by Marina Nemat - A postal club book that I had to rush through a bit to get out the door on time. Good but sad read that had a touch of "Is this a bit fabricated?"


Goodreads says I am 5 books away from my goal this year. If I can knock out those audios soon, heck, I'll clobber this goal!






No comments: