Sunday, August 19, 2018

The Unemployed Fortune-Teller: Essays and Memoirs by Charles Simic

Travel for work helped me knock out several books. Dogsitting an old dog helped me justify time on my couch finishing Simic's essay collection. I even read choice bits to the dog. I think she enjoyed it.

I didn't pick this book up by chance. My friend who actively reads poetry lent me 3 Simic books, I think to try and entice me into his world.  I honestly am not a poetry person, with the exception of Charles Bukowski, but my friend keeps trying.

I started with the essays and memoirs to ease myself into Simic. What I found was truly excellent writing about a ton of things I know nothing about. He mentions so many artists, poets, and authors and I'm making notes because my knowledge base is zilch.

But going outside of me not knowing the references, this little book is truly packed with good writing. With bullshit (fully acknowledge by the author) and truth.  Food and Happiness and Don't Squeeze the Tomatoes! are my two favorites (I might be hungry...). Someone who can wax poetic about the perfect tomato and make me so mad that I currently do not have any tomatoes is a great writer.

The Minotaur Loves His Labyrinth is so full of tidbits to store away and chew on later. Really, I didn't skip through any of the essays and that's saying something.

I'll be attempting the poetry next. If the writing is the same, I will probably be a convert.




No comments: