Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Razorblade Tears

 That moment when you find a new author that you LOVE and want to read everything, past, present, and future until you die.

S. A. Cosby has me hooked. After reading Blacktop Wasteland, I grabbed Razorblade Tears from the library. Laundry went undone, dishes unwashed, work unworked. I devoured this. And I want more.

I want to just unload about this novel but, alas, I don't want to spoil anything. So read this and get back with me, yes?

Ike Randolph has been out of prison for 15 years, keeping himself under the radar and getting back on his feet. He built up a lawn care/landscaping business that is doing pretty well. He has a wife, a son, and a granddaughter. All seems well until the first page when the police show up at his door to let him know his son has been murdered.

Buddy Lee has been out of prison for a bit and isn't making ends meet. Bills aren't getting paid and his travels into the bottles are getting longer. Buddy finds out his son was murdered.

Isiah Randolph and Derek Lee were married with a little girl. Both were brutally murdered, such that the funerals were closed caskets. Ike and Buddy Lee were the kind of fathers who really didn't take well to their sons being gay. We see the regret and sorrow their untimely deaths caused, enough so that, when the police make no arrests or even progress, Ike and Buddy Lee decide to do some investigating on their own.

Bear in mind, these are not old men who are wandering around town, chatting people up. These are ex-cons, tough, resourceful men. As they start digging in, all of their skills come in to play because shit gets dangerous real fast.

Ike and Buddy Lee play off of each other well, even if the start of their relationship is a bit rocky. The deeper they get into the situation their sons got into, the harder they fight to make sure the killer pays.

The actual killer is buried so damn deep that I honestly lost track of the body count leading to the head of this mess. Ike and Buddy Lee do not fuck around. 

Pretty much every part of this book thrilled me to my core. It's been a while since I sat with some whisky and just READ for hours on end. I needed this.

Cosby didn't just write an action book. When I say this novel is full, trust and believe. 

Interview with the author



No comments: