Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Be Cool by Elmore Leonard

I started on book #2 of this Chili Palmer series, series = two books. I'm honestly not sure how I liked this book. I was interested but I couldn't just get into it.

Chili is a former wiseguy who got relatively big with the movie Get Leo and bombed with the follow up Get Lost. He starts out meeting with his friend Tommy Athens, a record producer, who ends up with a bullet in the head as Chili is the witness.

Enter Linda Moon, a woman from a dating site whom Chili decides needs to be the star of his next film. Moon is really a musician and, through a series of events, Chili ends up as her manager. All the while, there's Raji (Moon's former manager and a stereotypical pimp) and Elliott (Raji's Samoan gay bodyguard who wants to make it in Hollywood) who want pretty much everyone dead and can't seem to decide who to kill.

Chili cleans up the record company of Tommy's, gets music made, gets people shot, tries to manipulate real-life events so he can have scenes in his movie and starts having sex with HIS manager. And WTF.

I honestly didn't like any character in this book except for Elaine. But I felt I needed to see where it ended. And it ended Meh.


No comments: